Everyone wants to fly in style once in a while but finding cheap business class flights can be difficult. There are a few ways you can keep the costs down and still fly business class. One of those ways is to use points you already have to upgrade your flight. Here are some reasons why you should upgrade to business class with your travel rewards points and how you can earn more points too.
What is so special about business class?
Depending on the airline different amenities are offered, however, what you will get are better service and a more comfortable ride. Generally, you will have an easier check-in process, more leg room and premium food and drinks. Business class on an international British Airways flight for example. You’ll get you a seat that lies flat to convert to a bed for a better sleep before you reach your destination. Also, fast-track access through the airport, Elemis spa treatments at certain airports and premium international cuisine and wines on board.
Finding affordable business class flights can be difficult but you can find cheap business class flights using Google Flights if you know where to look. But if your dates or times aren’t flexible, cheap flights in business class might not be available. So the alternative is to upgrade.
General Benefits to flying business class
- Fast check-in and fast lane security access meaning less time queueing and more time relaxing.
- Access to a business class lounge. Usually including newspapers, food, and drinks before your flight.
- Be the first to get on and off the plane.
- Premium service with fewer people to staff ratio you will have more attention from the stewards.
- Welcome drink when you are seated.
- Extra legroom, footrests and sometimes flat reclining bed seats.
- More room for your carry-on and easy access to your luggage.
- Seats are more comfortable, larger and you enjoy upgraded pillows and blankets.
How can you upgrade?
Depending on which reward scheme you use will affect which seats you can book and with which airline. When considering why you should upgrade to business class, think about what rewards you can use. I collect Avios points. I haven’t used any of my points yet, however, there are many different ways they can be used. One of these ways is to upgrade to business class.
When using Avios for example, you can use your points to book the whole flight in your chosen class. Or you can upgrade to the next level from your booking. So, if you have or are going to book a premium economy flight you can upgrade using your Avios to business class.
Some airlines have their own schemes such as AirFrance and KLM’s Flying Blue. Elite members can use their qualifying miles to upgrade to Air France La Premiere. To qualify as an elite member you need 25,000 level miles or 15 qualifying flights. One of the top airline rewards schemes is American Airlines AAdvantage. There are many ways to earn points, not just on flights and these can be used to book flights and upgrade to business class or first class. Due to the great deals overall for rewards customers, American Airlines are deemed to have the best scheme for its customers. If you cant decide which scheme is the best check out these Business class flight reviews.
How do you earn enough points?
You don’t have to be a frequent flyer to earn travel scheme points or air miles. In fact, there are many ways to earn extras that don’t even involve travel. Of course, to add a lot of miles to your target, however, flying often helps. Schemes have their own particular initiatives but they can include:
- Earning rewards from credit card spend. Certain loyalty schemes offer reward credit cards which earn you points or air miles. They can be high-interest rates though so it is best to spend to earn points then pay off as soon as you can.
- Hotel stays can earn you extra points and rewards. If you register your membership number with the booking website, such as booking.com you can earn points after your stay.
- Shopping can earn you points too! For some reward schemes, you can log into your account and click through to selected websites to earn points on your purchases. You can also transfer store rewards for points on shopping such as Tesco Clubcard points.
- Paying your regular bills can give you points too. Register your membership with some of your service providers and you can earn points from what you would already be paying anyway.
- Take surveys online. If you have the time you can earn reward points by taking online surveys. Rewards for thoughts and Erewards both offer loyalty points in return for answers to surveys. They can be a bit time consuming but are an easy free way to boost your points.
So you can see there are lots of different ways you can bump up your rewards points to use on your next upgrade. And you don’t have to be a world traveller to do it either. If you really want to take that luxurious flight but the costs are too high, upgrading using travel rewards is a great way to do it.
Why you should upgrade to business class
Whether you are used to the finer things in life, or you just want to enjoy a special treat, everyone should enjoy the premium class at some point. When price tags are too high for your budget you can get around this by looking for special deals and using reward schemes and points you have available.
Personally, the closest I have ever got to flying business class is flying Premium with Tui to Mexico. I enjoyed the perks. From speedy check-in and fast-track security, first class lounge access and excellent service on the journey itself. Depending on how much you are paying and how long you are flying makes a difference as to whether it is worth it. But if you have the opportunity to upgrade with points or miles, or find a great deal then you should make the most of a luxurious experience. Still wondering why you should upgrade to business class?
This article contains sponsored links.